Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rock Hard Loaf


After our party last weekend, I've been inundated with leftovers. Aside from finding endless ways to prepare leftover roast pork, I've got an entire loaf of french bread that went untouched.

With all of this talk about food miles, and carbon footprints, and law firm layoffs, the idea of wasting food really does not appeal to me. But what am I supposed to do with this bread?

Well, the bad news is that it appears that it is too late for me, but it might not be too late for you. Here is some stuff you can do with bread that is a day or two old.

In case you're wondering what I'm doing with my leftover pork, here is what I've been eating all week:
1) Leftover brown rice, tsp of olive oil, tsp of water, leftover pork. Microwave with lid on. It somehow tastes like you are eating healthy, but don't be fooled.

2) Pork sandwiches: Take a kaiser roll cut in half, and cut/scrape/scoop out some of the bread on the inside of the roll. (You could probably make some croutons with that scooped out bread, btw). Reheat pork in medium heat pan. Add abt 1/4 cup broth if you got it, just to more fully re-moisten. If you have to open a can of broth, then don't bother, we're trying to get rid of leftovers, remember? Add swiss when its all hot and get that nice and melted.

I like mayo on my pork sandwich, but that's just me. Hot sauce is also a must. (Eventually I'll write a post just about hot sauce.)

3) Pork Vindaloo: Rice, Pork, 1/4 cup broth, 1/4 water, 1-2 Tbsps of Vindaloo paste or powder. Stir-it-up!

Of course, you could also try pork fajitas, tacos, burritos, empanadas, etc. Since the pork was properly slow-roasted, you could shred it and make pulled pork. But, for pete's sake, if you're going to make pulled pork sandwiches, make some coleslaw. It's just not pulled pork without it.

Last, but certainly not least, I plan on using the remainder of the crispy skin to make a concoction of rice noodles, pork skins (the skins only, no meat), and chili peppers. This might be a total disaster, but I suspect that the simplicity of the ingredients, along with the richness of the pork skin will make it a really memorable experiment. My fellow foodie friend (we're ffffs) also suggested taking the leftover pork skin and dipping it in melted white chocolate and then letting the chocolate reharden. Not my style, but I thought it was pretty brilliant.

P.S. - Don't worry, I didn't forget about the beer. I will try to go to the wine & beer making store tomorrow. That place is amazing. I'll explain later.

No comments:

Post a Comment