Monday, November 2, 2009

Bubblin' Beer Deliciousness

On Friday, I checked on the status of our Thanksgiving beer. The recipe that I have calls for an addition of maple syrup midway through the fermenting process. This will make for a really nice brown ale. I couldn't resist the urge to taste the beer just to see how things are coming along. To my delight, the beer smelled great, and tasted great. It was quite hoppy, with the faintest hint of cinnamon. Sometime next week, I will bottle the beer, at which point it will carbonate. Oh joy!

In other news, I spoke to my aunt, an almost Vermonter (she's lived there for almost 20 years now) about what it would take to make some maple syrup. She explained that I'll have to tap some maple trees in February. I've put it on my calendar.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say that you should go into business selling "New Jersey Maple Syrup" and make a killing, but then I found out that if you google "New Jersey Maple Syrup" you get 22,000 results. I guess there's nothing new beneath the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, there are a lot of NJ Maple Syrup mentions, but according to this story, http://njfamily.com/en/news/Maple_Sugaring_in_New_Jersey.aspx, there isn't really commercially available NJ Syrup. So perhaps you are on to something?

    Of course, the mrs. will have to kill you now for encouraging me to begin more projects. Nice knowin' ya.

    ReplyDelete