Monday, November 9, 2009

Thanksgivings

So, you might remember that I was thinking of making something for Thanksgiving with my in-laws this year.

Here is what I came up with:
1) Beer
2) Pecan Pie
3) Cranberry Sauce with Port and Cinnamon

I think I've said all there is to say about the beer for now, so that leaves the pecan pie and the cranberry sauce. I've never made a pecan pie, but I recently got my hands on some pie recipes from Bangs, Texas where my father's family is from. Those people know pecan pie, so I'm going to trust them. I'll do a test run, and report on a winning recipe to bring to Thanksgiving.

As for the cranberry sauce, I already know what to do there. There are few recipes that I am willing to follow verbatim. Often I like to add stuff where none is called for, and often I decide to make things at the last minute, and so use lots of substitutes. In this case, though, I follow this recipe to the T. It is a cranberry sauce that puts those crappy tin can shaped jelly cranberry sauces to shame. It's got, *gasp*, fresh cranberries! The cranberries are cooked in a sugary mixture of port and water and cinnamon sticks. If you love real (versus processed) food, you are going to LOVE this cranberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment